Monday, October 18, 2010

Voices of Art airs on WHCR 90.3FM and the Stitch Goes On!!!!

                                                                                                                     Getting ready for the radio show tomorrow evening from 5-6 pm. Voices of Art airs on WHCR 90.3 FM or streamed in live at www.whcr.org. This will be the final Voices of Art broadcast until November 2nd. I will be doing two a month until the end of year. Oh, I do have a surprise show that will be aired either in November or December. One of those months will run three shows. I will let you know as we get closer. Tomorrow's guest will be Michelle Bishop, Director of Harlem Needle Arts. I am looking forward to the interview because I love introducing folks to arts that  may be unfamiliar to them. 



Feather
Spiral
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I'm still working on the quilt. It's on the sewing machine. I am a free motion quilter. That means, I use the machine needle as a drawing tool. The feed dog is dropped......Under normal sewing circumstances, the feed dog ( the thing that looks like dog teeth) within the plate of the sewing machine is used to keep the fabric from sliding when one sews. Well, I move that out of the way so that my fabric can slide or move freely, allowing me to move what I am sewing in any direction at any time. I  outline the shapes that I want, create detail and shadow in the shapes, and I always sign my name using the free motion sewing technique. There is a special sewing machine foot that we use. It has a round shape and kind of jumps up and down so that you can move the quilt layers freely. Once I get in the groove, I can free motion quilt for hours at a time. These are a couple of my favorite images to free motion quilt. I frequent three LOL! 1. My rendition of the feather, 2. A spiral or coil, and 3. My name of course. I always sign my quilts with just my first name and add an Egyptian Ankh( The Ankh is a symbol of everlasting life) at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment