Friday, October 15, 2010

In the Process!!!!!!


Been working on a quilt for the past couple of weeks. An aquaintance asked me to create it. Although I knew that I was very busy, I decided to squeeze it into my schedule. I didn't realize how maticulous I am until I was in the middle of cutting out the words on the bandanas that were required to incorporate in the quilt. I decided to go with a quilt that will become a part of my "Dancin' at the Tree of Life" series. The theme of the quilt is for breast cancer awareness. I wanted an upbeat quilt look and of course Boa Boa trees are always my comfort zone. The thought of women dancing and celebrating at the African Boa Boa tree(where ancestors have also been known to dwell) would fit perfectly. Oh almost forgot to mention, we had to incorporate the use of these rulers designed by a woman named Darlene Zimmerman. So I am using the rulers to create the background (sky, land etc.). I am more of a free spirit when it comes to cutting fabric for quilts. I usually decide on a size of the fabric patch based on the fabric that I want to use, then build everything around it. I am still trying to stay true to my game LOL by alternating various lengths of cloth even though the tools must be used; keeping the quilt to about 24" X 24" square. Let's see what the final verdict will be. Whew........ I love the quilt process!!!!

6 comments:

  1. This quilt is going to be beautiful.. I can already tell! Welcome to blogland! :o) I have a few rulers by Darlene Zimmerman and I use them to make Dresden Plate blocks. Check out my quilty blog when you get a chance! I'm looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Crafty Gemini. I am still getting the hang of this process. I am enjoying it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. U cease to amaze me in what you do , I love that u share with us your art and gift and dont keep it to urself. I love what you r doing for the Month of October, which is your bday month. Countdown for your 22 just do your thing. I love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ase my Sister, Ase!!!! Just living :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Myrah, as you create this beautiful quilt I just remembered how I miss by beloved sister, Gloria. Please help me keep Fe lifted up.

    Love You girl,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess part of why it is taking me so long to finish is remembering all the sisters lost to this disease. I definitely will help you.

    Love you too Cheryl!
    Peace,
    Myrah

    ReplyDelete