Thursday, October 21, 2010

Staying On Course


I'm back in my two seater, convertible, lapis blue Jaguar; the highest end model of course. Get it? Back on the wagon is how the saying really goes. I kept walking past the sewing machine... and the quilt.... and the thread, gently gazing as I walked past. "Go for it", I say to myself. "Just jump on in; get started on the quilting and finish it. There's not a whole lot to do". So I pull out a bin of my thread. The ones that are yellow,red, and variegated with a sprinkle of purple threads here and there. I am a thread finatic. I probably have just as many spools of delicious thread as I do fabric. I think it has to do with the thread colors and texture. I also like the fact that one can hold a spool of thread in your hand. Don't the threads look yummy? I have a love for all types of cotton and other types of  threads but Madiera viscose thread seams to always steal my heart. I use 'black core' thread quite a bit. The black core is made exactly the way it is named. It has a strand or a couple of strands of thread in the center of the strand. The strand of thread is wrapped  or twisted with a metallic strand that seems different from other metallic threads that I have used in the past. I don't have trouble with breakage and it gives off a wonderful glitter next to the fabric; depending on the way you look at the finished quilt.  The viscose variegated that is pictured to the right will be used for the tree and the background sun rays and sky. I think it will promote contrast but blend nicely, at the same time, with the tree. The brown color that is a part of it variegated nature will blend in. I'll probably use a cotton thread for the outline of the women's bodies and the hearts that will serve as leaves. I'll let the quilt tell me what it wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment