Friday, October 15, 2010

In the Process Part II: The Canvas (Yeah!!!!!!!!)

Okay, a huge part of my process when quilting is making the foundation or the quilt top as the background or canvas. I machine applique' A LOT on my quilts. Sometimes there are touches of hand applique',  like the curved yellow patches in the top center and left. They are left over pieces from a quilt that was totally hand appliqued around 2002.... I think I was going through some soul searching then.LOL....but for the most part, I machine stitch everything. I also quilt all layers together at the same time. Yes...I quilt the top, batting, and backing together along with everything that I have appliqued on the top at the same time. Sometimes there are up to six layers. I always said to myself, "Self (LOL)....why stitch the applique' pattern pieces onto the top then restitch or quilt everything together AGAIN?" So for the past twenty years, I have been stitching all of the layers together at once. Saves me time, thread and I love the look.

So....I've finished my canvas which always has some piecing in it. I am a fan of traditional and improvisational quilts. Both types, I believe are synonymous with one another.  My points will not always be evident (to me points don't always make a great quilt), you will rarely find African fabrics used in any of my quilts (I'll tell you about that later on) and there will either be an obvious border or NOT. ,.......and, unless I am using striped fabric for the binding, I make a straight grain binding. I love the look of stripes on the bais.

I've used three of the tools by Darlene Zimmerman. The 12 1/2" x 6 1/2"  ruler, the 45 degree triangle and the Flip and Set. The Flip and Set got the Myrah Brown Green treatment.:-) In quilter's lingo that means: I couldn't figure out how to use the thing so I used it the way that I thought made sense. LOL!! Once my canvas or foundation or quiltop as background is complete I begin to dress it with all of the wonderful applique' images in preparation for anything else that I might add after Phase III is complete.
On to Phase III

No comments:

Post a Comment